Super Mario Odyssey and Nintendo Switch Top Sales Charts the Week Before Christmas in Japan
Super Mario Odyssey tops the Christmas tree to no surprise, considering the equally pleasing Nintendo Switch sales the week before Christmas.
Wednesday means sales charts for the Japanese market. The week of December 18 to December 24 gives a look into the last minute shopping needs for gamers with the sales charts from Media Create.
Check out the charts below for Japanese market sales, including this week’s sales, followed by lifetime sales.
- Super Mario Odyssey (Bundle Version Included) – Switch – 209,630/1,292,281
- Yo-kai Watch Busters 2: Treasure Legend Banbaraya – Sword / Magnum – 3DS – 184,739/393,279
- Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon – 3DS – 176,789/1,345,962
- Splatoon 2 (Bundle Version Included) – Switch – 137,607/1,668,466
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – Switch – 100,205/1,045,438
- Kirby: Battle Royale – 3DS – 42,796/115,324
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Limited Edition Included) – Switch – 35,565/738,026
- Pokken Tournament DX – Switch – 27,053/297,491
- Arms – Switch – 25,285/297,491
- The Idolmaster: Stella Stage (Limited Edition Included) – PS4 – 23,772/New
- 1-2-Switch – Switch – 23,156/328,694
- Style Savvy: Styling Star – 3DS – 21,321/105,557
- Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings – PS4 – 21,129/New
- Earth Defense Force 5 – PS4 – 20,536/164,944
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf Amiibo+ – 3DS – 18,019/336,543
- Sumikko Gurashi: Sumikko Park he Youkoso – Switch – 17,769/110,355
- Pokemon Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon Double Pack – Switch – 17,679/319,945
- Okami HD (Limited Edition Included) – Switch – 16,536/New
- One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 Deluxe Edition – Switch – 16,011/New
- Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch – Switch – 15,916/89,161
Last minute shopping wasn’t just for games, however. Some even made some last minute console purchases, and it’s no surprise that Nintendo Switch takes first place.
- Nintendo Switch – 269,684
- PlayStation 4 – 50,662
- New 2DS XL – 45,387
- New 3DS XL – 27,947
- PlayStation 4 Pro – 16,595
- PlayStation Vita – 14,041
- 2DS – 6,992
- Xbox One – 687
- New 3DS – 311
- Wii U – 98
- PlayStation 3 – 40
- Xbox One X – 32
Nintendo Switch keeps leading the charge with its 269,000 sales, which tops its sales from the previous week. Many of the top sales are also from Nintendo themselves, shared between the Nintendo Switch and 3DS.
In terms of games, Super Mario Odyssey takes the lead, nearly matching the number of Nintendo Switches sold. Splatoon 2 makes it to number three on the chart, even though it still reigns supreme as Japan’s best-selling Switch game, With Mario Kart 8 Deluxe following as an always popular series title.
New to the battle of the charts are The Idolmaster: Stella Stage, Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings, Okami HD, and One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 Deluxe Edition. Sales on these titles weren’t particularly groundbreaking, but releasing the week before Christmas standing next to blockbusters like first-party Nintendo titles don’t make their numbers any less impressive.