Destiny on PS4 Gets Close to the Top but Super Smash Bros. Is King on Major Japanese Retailer’s Sales Chart
Like every week, the major Japanese retailer Tsutaya published its chart to give us a glimpse on what games achieved the best sales in Japan last week. This time around the chart is interesting as it sees the release of two massively anticipated games: Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Destiny.
Tsutaya is one of the biggest game retailers in Japan, and while its charts are valid only for its own stores, it’s normally a good indication of what we’re going to see on Wednesday with the Media Create charts.
Without further ado, here’s the full chart.
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS – 3DS
- Destiny – PS4
- Destiny – PS3
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution – PS3
- Dragon Quest X – 3DS
- Youkai Watch 2: Honke – 3DS
- Youkai Watch 2: Ganso – 3DS
- Toukiden: Kiwami – PS Vita
- Samurai Warriors 4 – PS4
- Yoshi’s New Island – 3DS
- Mario Kart 8 – Wii U
- Diablo III: Reaper of Souls – PS3
- Youkai Watch – 3DS
- Chain Chronicle V – PS Vita
- Toukiden: Kiwami – PSP
- Persona 4 Arena: The Ultimax – PS3
- Persona 4 Arena: The Ultimax – Limited Edition – PS3
- Diablo III: Reaper of Souls – PS4
- Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jiku Daiboken – 3DS
- Super Robot Wars OG Saga Masou Kishin F – PS3
As you can easily notice from the chart above, Super Smash Bros. easily jumped to the top, probably surprising no one, and beating Destiny. The performance of Bungie’s new game, which was released in Japan as a PlayStation exclusive, definitely isn’t too shabby either, placing both its versions in second and third place.
Considering that it’s a western game, and that it still managed to beat a massively popular series like Naruto, we can definitely call it a success. It’s also worth mentioning that the PS4 version outranked the PS3 one, despite the massive difference in installed base between the two consoles.
It’ll be interesting to see Media Create’s carts on Wednesday to get a feel of the actual numbers, and see how much the respective platforms have been boosted.