Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Update 6.0.0 Full Patch Notes Detailed
With the newest patch now live for Nintendo's fighting game, the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate update 6.0.0 adds Terry Bogard, a new stage, and much more.
With Fatal Fury fighter Terry Bogard now in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, a new patch with some balance changes and other additions has been implemented. Live today, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Update 6.0.0 not only unlocks Terry, but brings new Spirits, outfits, stage, music, as well as new fixes and changes to its existing fighters.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Update 6.0.0 highlights
Terry Bogard Faces the Fury
Yes, Terry Bogard makes his debut in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate today, bringing another fighting game character to the Switch game’s ridiculously large roster. Much of his moveset should look familiar to fans of the Fatal Fury and The King of Fighters series as much of his inputs reflect his moves from those old fighters. The only move that is completely new is his Up Air Somersault Kick. Throughout Masahiro Sakurai’s presentation earlier today, he compared him a lot to Street Fighter’s Ryu.
Along with Terry Bogard is the new stage King of Fighters Stadium. While it may not look like it at first glance, the edge of the stage is actually walled off. Typically to get a K.O. in Super Smash Bros., you need to knock someone off the stage. In King of Fighters Stadium, the damage you or an opponent takes during a match, the more the wall begins to deteriorate. Once you have taken enough damage, you or the opponent will break through the wall, receiving a K.O. In the video, Sakurai was able to break through the wall when the opponent’s damage was at 125% and with a smash attack. However, if you are close to the wall, it is possible to knock out an opponent with low percentage health.
The stage also has a few special guest characters not just from the Fatal Fury series, but from a slew of SNK titles. However, one character that will not be there is Mai Shiranui from the Fatal Fury and The King of Fighters franchises. As Sakurai said, it is because Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is for “good boys and girls of many different ages” and is deemed not age-appropriate. With that being said, the guest characters that appear will determine which music from the SNK catalog will play.
Fighter and Item Fixes and Changes
There is a slew of changes made to quite a few Super Smash Bros. Ultimate fighters. Donkey Kong, Kirby, Jigglypuff, Robin, King K. Rool, Incineroar, and Hero have all received some fixes that will hopefully make them more suitable for play. You can check out all of the changes below (via Nintendo):
- Side Tilt Attack: Extended Launch Distance
- Neutral Air Attack: Increased power; increased attack range
- Neutral Special: Extended fully charged launch distance; shortened the charge time until reaching max charge.
- Up Special: Increased the speed that super armor activates when using the move on the ground; made it easier to hit multiple times when hitting an airborne opponent when using the move on the ground, and extended the last attack’s launch distance.
- Down Special: Increased attack speed when using the move on the ground; reduced vulnerability when using the move on the ground.
- Neutral Attack 1: Increased attack speed.
- Up Smash Attack: Extended launch distance when hit in the low-damage range.
- Neutral Air Attack: Increased attack speed; extended launch distance when hit in the high-damage range.
- Up Air Attack: Increased attack speed; increased power; extended launch distance
- Neutral Special: Reduced start time for Inhale; made it harder to disrupt Kirby’s Copy Ability.
- Air Dodge: Reduced vulnerability.
- Moving Air Dodge: Reduced vulnerability.
- Down Air Attack: Shortened the landing time after using the movie; reduced vulnerability when landing after using the move.
- Forward Throw: Adjusted launch angle.
- Neutral Special: Shortened the charge time until reaching max charge.
- Side Special: Increased the duration of the damage animation when the move hits; increased the opponent’s downtime when shielded.
- Side Tilt Attack: Extended launch distance.
- Neutral Air Attack: Increased attack speed.
- Neutral Special: Shortened the time it takes to change to a more powerful spell.
- Side Special: Extended the duration of the fireball; the duration of the pillar of fire is not affected.
- Other: Increased the recharging effect smash attacks have on the Levin Sword.
King K. Rool
- Neutral Air Attack: Reduced vulnerability when landing after using the move.
- Forward Air Attack: Increased power of the high-damage range; increased attack range of the high-damage-range attack and increased the duration.
- Up Air Attack: Increased the amount of time hit detection lasts; extended launch distance for the high-damage range.
- Neutral Special: Increased attack speed; made it easier to vacuum up the Kannonball; shortened the time needed to shoot out the vacuumed Kannonball; extended launch distance when hit with the Kannonball.
- Down Special: Reduced vulnerability when the counter succeeds; increased the range the counter counts as a success; increased the high-damage range.
- Neutral Attack 3: Increased power; extended launch distance.
- Forward Air Attack: Increased the amount of time hit detection lasts; decreased power for the latter half of the time hit detection lasts.
- Down Air Attack: Made it easier to trigger a meteor effect when you hit with the high-damage range.
- Neutral Special: Increased the power at the beginning of the move; increased the rang at the beginning of the move and increased the duration of the move.
- Down Special: Increased the amount of time the damage-reducing pose is effective; extended launch distance of the flames after receiving an opponent’s attack; reduced vulnerability when receiving or not receiving an opponent’s attack.
- Neutral Special: After Kafrizz hits a fighter or the stage and explodes, Gravitational Pull or Pocket will have no effect on the explosion.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Update 6.0.0 Full Patch Notes
The following spirits will appear in the Shop on the Vault menu:
- Andy Bogard
- Joe Higashi
- Kim Kaphwan
- Geese Howard
- Ryo Sakazaki
- Kyo Kusanagi
- Iori Yagami
- Athena Asamiya
- Ralf & Clark
- Tockles: The Tockles spirit will appear on the DRAGON QUEST Spirit Board in the DLC Spirits menu.
Note: To play on a Spirit Board in the DLC Spirits menu, you must purchase the appropriate downloadable content.
The following features have been added to Battle Arena mode:
- The arena type “Elite Only” has been added.
- Arenas that a friend has created can now be found by going to Join Arena → Friends’ Arenas, regardless of visibility.
- The host player can now change some rules without having to shut down the arena.
- The option “Random Battlefield and Ω Form” has been added to the stage settings.
- You can now send set messages to each other inside an arena.
Added support for the upcoming Simon and Incineroar amiibo figures.
The following downloadable content will be usable after purchase:
- Terry + King of Fighters Stadium
- Ryo Sakazaki Wig + Outfit
- Nakoruru Wig + Outfit
- Iori Yagami Wig + Outfit
- Akira Wig + Outfit
- Jacy Wig + Outfit
You cannot make videos of replays that contain DLC you have not purchased (fighters, stages, music, Mii Fighter costumes, etc.).
Game balance adjustments have been made.
Several issues have been fixed to improve gameplay experience.
Fixes and changes to fighters have been made.
If you want to check out Terry Bogard and the new stage in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, you can purchase Challenger Pack 4 for $5.99 right now. You could also get the Fighters Pass for $24.99 which includes all of the DLC fighters like Banjo-Kazooie, Joker, Hero, and the aforementioned Terry Bogard.