Take-Two Expects Growth Thanks to Red Dead Redemption 2; Announces Financial Results
Today Take-Two Interactive Software announced its financial results for the second quarter of Fiscal Year 2017, related to the period between July 1st and September 30th, 2017.
- Net revenue grew 21% to $420.2 million
- GAAP net income was $0.39 per diluted share
- Non-GAAP net income was $0.45 per diluted share
- Bookings grew 28% to $452.8 million
CEO Strauss Zelnick accompanied the press release with a comment, mentioning among other things an expectation for growth of income and bookings thanks to the launch of Red Dead Redemption 2:
“Take-Two’s business continued to outperform during the second quarter, enabling us to deliver strong net revenue and better-than-expected bookings growth. Our outstanding results were highlighted by the series’ record-breaking launch of NBA 2K17, ongoing robust demand for Grand Theft Auto V, and increased recurrent consumer spending, including year-over-year bookings growth from Grand Theft Auto Online.
“Our holiday season is off to a great start with a diverse array of successful new releases, including Mafia III, WWE 2K17 and Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, as well as our first virtual reality offering – Carnival Games VR. We intend to support our titles with innovative offerings designed to promote ongoing engagement and drive recurrent consumer spending, including additional free content for Grand Theft Auto Online. Looking ahead, fiscal 2018 is poised to be another strong year for our Company. We expect to grow both bookings and net cash provided by operating activities driven by our release slate led by Rockstar Games’ highly anticipated launch of Red Dead Redemption 2.”
The company also shared a list of highlight about both its subsidiaries Rockstar and 2K games. We learn that Mafia III is the fastest-selling game in 2K Games’ history.
- Released new free content updates for Grand Theft Auto Online, including:
- Bikers, which brings underground Motorcycle Clubs to the forefront of the Los Santos and Blaine County criminal underworld with a range of all new competitive and co-operative gameplay, as well as new modes, vehicles, weapons, clothing and much more.
- Cunning Stunts, which features a total of 27 brand-new, high-octane Stunt Races utilizing ramps, loops, wall rides, tubes, raised tracks and dynamic objects for a radical new take on Grand Theft Auto Online racing, along with 19 new vehicles, clothing and the launch of the Stunt Race Creator tools, which allow the community to make and share their own custom stunt races. Also added on August 2, 2016 was the Entourage Adversary Mode.
- Made Red Dead Redemption available as part of Microsoft’s Xbox One Backward Compatibility program, enabling owners of the Xbox 360 versions of Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare, and Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition to play on Xbox One. In addition, Red Dead Redemption is now available for purchase through digital download from the Games Store on Xbox One.
- Announced that the highly-anticipated Red Dead Redemption 2® is planned for release worldwide in Fall 2017 for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Developed by the creators of Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland. The game’s vast and atmospheric open world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience.
- Launched Sid Meier’s Civilization® VI for PC. Developed by Firaxis Games, Sid Meier’s Civilization VI is the next entry in the award-winning turn-based strategy franchise that has sold-in over 37 million units. The title has received outstanding reviews from critics, including 9.5 out of 10 from Game Informer, 9.4 out of 10 from IGN, 93 out of 100 from PC Gamer, and 90 out of 100 from GameSpot.
- Launched WWE® 2K17 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One and Xbox 360. Developed collaboratively by Yuke’s and Visual Concepts, WWE 2K17 is being supported with downloadable add-on content, including a Season Pass.
- Launched Mafia III, the next installment in 2K’s successful organized crime series, for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. Developed by Hangar 13, Mafia III is the fastest-selling game in 2K’s history, generating week one sell-in of more than 4.5 million units. Mafia III is being supported with downloadable add-on content, including a Season Pass, as well as a free-to-play mobile battle RPG game, Mafia III Rivals, for iOS and Android devices.
- Released XCOM 2 on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. XCOM 2 initially launched for PC in February 2016 and received outstanding review scores, with Game Informer Magazine, GameSpot and IGN each scoring the title in the 9-out-of-10 range.
- Launched NBA 2K17 on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC, as well as on iOS and Android devices. The title received stellar reviews, becoming the highest-rated annual sports game of the current console generation and the highest-rated title in the history of the NBA 2K series.* NBA 2K17 delivered record first week sell-in for the series and has continued to grow versus the prior-year’s release, with sell-in to date of more than 4.5 million units.
- Released BioShock: The Collection for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC**. BioShock: The Collection includes BioShock, BioShock 2, and BioShock Infinite completely remastered for new-generation consoles in full high-resolution and up to 60 frames per second, complete with all single-player DLC and a never-before-seen video series, “Director’s Commentary: Imagining BioShock,” which includes insights from series creator Ken Levine.
- Released Carnival Games® VR for HTC Vive™ and PlayStation®VR. A new take on the hit franchise created by Cat Daddy Games that has sold-in more than 9 million copies worldwide, Carnival Games VR is 2K’s first virtual reality offering. The title will also be available on December 6, 2016 for Oculus Rift.
- Released NHL SuperCard 2K17 for iOS and Android devices. Developed by Cat Daddy Games, NHL SuperCard 2K17 is a free-to-play NHL collectible card-battling game that includes more than 400 cards with current NHL players, season-based action, exhibition games and more.
- Announced that WWE SuperCard – Season 3 will be available for iOS and Android devices in November 2016. Developed by Cat Daddy Games, WWE SuperCard Season 3 will be a free update to the popular WWE collectible card-battling game that has been downloaded more than 11 million times, featuring new modes of play, Superstars and more.
The prediction for bookings revenue was also raised from $650 to $700 million for the third quarter and from $1.6 to $1.7 billion for the full fiscal year, ending on March 31st, 2017.
Last, but not least, we get a list of announced titles to be released in the upcoming year: