The New York Game Awards 2021 Winners Revealed; Hades Takes Game of the Year
Hades took the top prize among several other titles at the tenth ceremony for The New York Video Game Awards.
While the show is traditionally held in-person each year, this time The New York Game Awards held its first all-virtual awards ceremony in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. Co-hosted by New York Videogame Critics Circle founder Harold Goldberg and former Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime, the latest installment of the show took place to highlight another award-worthy crowd of games from the past year.
The New York Game Awards held its tenth annual ceremony this week to honor the best games released in 2020, with the winners officially announced during the show. Overall, Hades took the top prize for the “Big Apple Award” for Game of the Year, with other titles earning some of the headline awards including Genshin Impact for Best Mobile Game and Half-Life: Alyx for Best VR/AR Game.
Full List of Winners: 2021 New York Game Awards
- Big Apple Award for Best Game of the Year: Hades
- Statue of Liberty Award for Best World: Ghost of Tsushima
- Herman Melville Award for Best Writing in a Game: Hades
- Coney Island Dreamland Award for Best AR/VR Game: Half-Life: Alyx
- Tin Pan Alley Award for Best Music in a Game: Hades
- Central Park Children’s Zoo Award for Best Kids Game: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- A-Train Award for Best Mobile Game: Genshin Impact
- Off Broadway Award for Best Indie Game: Hades
- Freedom Tower Award for Best Remake: Final Fantasy VII: Remake
- Great White Way Award for Best Acting in a Game: Logan Cunningham as Lord Hades / Poseidon / Achilles / Charon / The Storyteller / Asterius in Hades
- Shea Stadium Award for Best Esports Event: Overwatch League
- Captain Award for Best Esports Team: Red Bull OG: CS:GO
- Knickerbocker Award for Best Games Journalism: Jason Schreier for his story in Kotaku: As Naughty Dog Crunches on The Last of Us, Developers Wonder How Long This Can Last.
Alongside the individual award categories, the New York Videogame Critics Circle also awarded 4 honorees for this year’s Andrew Yoon Legend Award, which honors individuals that have had a significant impact in the games industry. This year, the NYVGCC honored Jerry Lawson, John and Brenda Romero, and Hideo Kojima for their achievements within the games industry over their careers.
The New York Game Awards were held this year on January 26, 2021 – for a recap, you can heck out the YouTube VOD above.