Steam Announces Steam Machines: Learn How to Participate in the Beta for Free
Valve recently announced SteamOS, an operating system built around the Linux architecture and focusing on the Steam environment. Today they announced a range of boxes that will run SteamOS natively and that will go into beta testing soon. At the end of October the publisher will chose 300 beta tester to give these Steam Machines a spin, completely free of charge (even if you may have to return them afterwards, as specified by the agreement). However, in order to be eligible you must complete several steps before October 25th, when the list of beta testers becomes locked:
- Before October 25, log in to Steam and then visit your quest page to track your current status towards beta test eligibility.
- Join the Steam Universe community group.
- Agree to the Steam Hardware Beta Terms and Conditions.
- Make 10 Steam friends (if you haven’t already).
- Create a public Steam Community profile (if you haven’t already).
- Play a game using a gamepad in Big Picture mode.
You can complete these steps in any order, just as long as they’re all done.
Once that happens, you’ll receive a special badge on your account that signifies your status as part of the pool of the Steam Machines beta testers Valve will choose from. You can go here for all the details and a handy FAQ.