The Witcher 3 Developers are “Really Fuc*ing Proud” Of Doing 16 Free DLC; Give More Info on The Game
During a panel at PAX East, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Senior Game Designer Damien Monnier mentioned that the studio is “Really fucking proud” of being able to release sixteen DLC for the game completely for free.
He also explained that the DLC arent even made yet, so they definitely will not be on the disk.
Monnier and the other developers at the panel also answered a few questions from the audience, and below you can find a recap:
- Some times you can miss on quests as the world changes, but nothing is timed.
- The “Sword of Destiny” trailer was made in 56 different versions before finalizing it.
- At some point the team wanted to put ice skating in the game, and it was mixed with fighting, but the feature was ultimately removed.
- They discussed remaking the first two games for the next generation, but for the moment there are no plans.
- In order to find where to draw the line on graphics and features, they continue adding to it until it breaks. Then they decide whether to dial back a bit or to try and find a different solution.
- To design the creatures, they started with the location, and imagine what can live there. They also found inspiration from stories they read and slavic mythology.
- You can deeply customize the UI and disable or enable some elements, but there’s no photo mode.
- When you do something someone might mention it, but they might not mention that it was Geralt that has done the deed, as messages don’t travel well in a medieval world.
It’s definitely nice to get a full range of DLC for a game without having to pull the wallet out of the pocket. So yeah… They have plenty reasons to be proud of that.