The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt: Reasons for 2015 Delay and Development Update Shared by CD Projekt
Today CD Projekt RED held its financial report, and during the presentation they shared the reasons for the delay to next year of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, together with an update on the development situation, clarifying what has already been done and what still needs time.
What has already been done:
- Dialogue lines are closed & implemented.
- They are currently recording voice overs for each language version of the game.
- The world of the game is completed – locations are finished, all important gameplay mechanics are already implemented.
- Graphic assets and animations are nearing completion.
- The game can already be played in full.
- REDengine 3 supports all 3 platforms.
- The physical elements of the collector’s edition are in production.
What needs to be done:
- Implementation of the remaining side quests.
- Importing voice overs and testing their quality/changing them.
- Gameplay testing and balancing.
- Continuous work on improving the quality of graphic assets, animations, effects and sounds – this will last until just before going gold.
- REDEngine3 optimization.
The reasoning behind the delay to 2015:
- Less competition.
- Improved effectiveness of marketing campaign targeted at aware gamers and not random gift-buyers.
- Better polished game: the last 20% of time stands for 80% of the game’s attractiveness.
- More new-gen consoles on the market = more potential customers.
The prominent RPG developer also mentioned further plans for this year:
- Witcher comics – digital and paper.
- Continuous intensive marketing action for The Witcher 3.
- Witcher 3 preorders.
- Release of The Witcher Adventure Game (board game) – Q3 2014.
- Two mobile titles: The Witcher Adventure Game and a new multiplatform project.
- Together with an external development studio they are working on a multiplatform mobile game, which uses advanced features of tablets and smartphones
- They are entering a completely new territory, both in terms of gameplay and business model
- Work on the project began over a year ago, independently from TW3 and Cyberpunk 2077.
- The game will be announced together with beta sign-ups.
- Commercial release this year.
The slides of the presentation in Polish have been translated by NeoGAF user boskee. I’m sure I’m not the only one that shuddered while reading “mobile titles,” but this is the nature of the beast. Hopefully they won’t subtract resources to the main dishes.