Since its release last week, players of Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia have had some complaints. While many have liked certain changes, like those made to Recruitment, the most prominent issue that has been raised is that the game is simply too easy. In a blog post on Total War’s website, Creative Director Jack Lusted addressed these concerns and stated that a patch will be released as an opt-in open beta on Tuesday that will make the game more of a challenge and increase its difficulty.
Many have complained that they are getting too much money and food, the battles are too easy, and campaigns are too short. In the blog post, Lusted stated, “Thrones isn’t giving you enough of a challenge for you want to keep you playing. This is something we can address quickly since it is in large part down to balancing.” To create this balance, Lusted gave this list as some of the changes that will be made in the update:
- Adjusting victory conditions
- Increased food consumption from buildings
- Increased building costs
- Adjustments to corruption and corruption reduction as well as certain Market income buildings to help reduce the amount of gold in the late game
- Reduced certain bonuses from techs that were making battles too one-sided until the AI researches them as well
- Balance adjustments to battles based on early concerns from the multiplayer community
- Alongside these changes, the patch will also add some quality of life improvements to the UI and a number of bug fixes.
Lusted added, “We’ll continue to balance this patch once it is in public beta, and of course going forward in any future updates we make after this one.”
He also shared that there have been complaints that aspects people liked in previous Total War games have been cut or streamlined due to the many changes that were made to how the campaign plays. Lusted stated, “We need to look at the mechanics, especially culture and faction mechanics, and decide what may be possible to change to address this.” While they will not be re-introducing all old systems and options, they will continue to look for opportunities for mastery without removing everything people enjoy in Thrones of Britannia games.
Players are encouraged to continue sharing their concerns with the game in the Total War Forums, particularly those related to culture and faction mechanics.
This update for Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia will be available as part of an opt-in public beta on Tuesday, May 15th. The game is currently available for PC.