Titanfall 2 Getting 4-Player Co-Op Horde Mode for Free With Frontier Defense
Respawn Entertainment announces a new co-op horde mode for Titanfall 2, coming with a free update.
Today Respawn Entertainment announced that its first person shooter Titanfall 2 is getting a co-op horde mode in which four players will fight against waves of AI opponents.
The mode, titled Frontier Defense, will be part of the upcoming and aptly-named Operation Frontier Shield DLC, that will launch on July 25th for free.
The mode will include the following features:
- Co-op 4 player mode.
- Defend your Harvester against 5 waves of increasingly difficult enemies.
- Earn cash for defeating enemies that you can spend in between waves to purchase tools like Batteries, Arc Traps, Sentries, and more.
- Choose from Easy / Regular / Hard / Master difficulty.
- There will be an Insane difficulty as well that will exist in a separate tile as a Featured Mode.
- New Titan Progression – ‘Aegis Ranks’
- Earn Aegis Ranks by completing matches of Frontier Defense. Aegis Ranks can unlock powerful upgrades for your Titans, helping you succeed at higher difficulty levels. For now these Ranks will only apply to Frontier Defense.
- New, challenging enemy types to battle.
- 5 maps supported at launch
- Forwardbase Kodai
- War Games
- Blackwater Canal
- We are currently testing additional maps and will add more in future
- More of Frontier Defense will be shown in an upcoming tutorial video around launch.
On top of the mode, we’ll get a new map named Rise and a new live fire map titled Township.
Since Electronic Arts has to make money one way or another, the update also introduces purchasable content in the form of Elite Warpaints for weapons and titans. Not only they change the looks of your equipment, but they also provide a merit boost for the owner and his team, and an XP boost only for the owner. You probably noticed that I said “owner,” and that’s because you don’t need to equip them to get the bonuses. All you need is to own them.
The weapon skins, that you can see in the gallery below, can also be purchased in bundle until August 28th, but of course you can get each of them separately. Titan skins are limited edition, also on sale until August 28th, and provide a stackable XP boost for the whole team in Frontier Defense. Interestingly, a part of the skins on the shoulder will upgrade when you complete each difficulty in the new mode.
Below you can see the trailer for the new update, and if you want to learn more about Titanfall 2, you can check out our review.