Tsukihime Remake Sales Tops PS4, Switch Charts Despite Cero Z Rating
Game sales numbers in Japan from Famitsu during August 23 - 29 2021, Tsukihime Remake a Piece of Blue Glass Moon took the top spot.
Famitsu just published its usual sales numbers of the week, and Tsukihime Remake took the top spot on both PS4 and Nintendo Switch, with over 138,000 copies sold in total, despite being a Cero Z rated game. And this number doesn’t even include digital sales.
Type-Moon and Aniplex released Tsukihme -A Piece of Blue Glass Moon- in Japan on August 26, 2021. A physical limited edition was also sold on both consoles, and Tsukihime Remake sold 138,408 copies on its first week. The remake was re-announced on December 31, 2021, after being first announced in 2008.
Needless to say, while none of the original PC game’s explicit H-scenes are found in the Remake, seeing these are never included in console ports or remakes regardless of the age rating, Tsukihime Remake is still Cero Z due to high amounts of gore and violence. A PC version of the Remake was confirmed by Nasu in Famitsu Magazine, but Type-Moon also hasn’t made eroge since 2005 (Fate / Hollow Ataraxia), so the PC version definitely won’t have H-scenes either.
- MORE NASUVERSE – Fate / Extra Remake first stream summary
Tsukihime Remake sales beats No More Heroes III, tops charts on release week
In general, Japanese developers try to avoid getting a Cero Z (18+) rating at all costs during development. Because ID check is mandatory to buy Cero Z games, even digitally. On the PS Store for example, you’ll be asked a Japanese credit card. Even if you pay through Paypal. CERO Z games can’t be normally displayed in shops either. This means fewer sales overall. The fact that Type-Moon still went for it shows that Takeuchi and Nasu were very confident. And it paid off.
It’s also important to note Tsukihime Remake is often reported as sold out at shops by Japanese fans on Twitter. Especially its Switch version. So it’s possible that TsukiRe‘s sales will still be in a pretty good position in its second week after release.
First week sales are always the biggest when it comes to Japanese games releases. They’re also what higher-ups and decision-makers take a look at in our capitalist world. Alongside preorder numbers, which make it pretty important to preorder Japanese games you wish to support.
In my opinion, Aniplex might easily green-lit more Tsukihime related projects with Type-Moon in the future, thanks to the Remake‘s high sales. Type-Moon also already confirmed a second game will be coming, containing remakes of the Far Side of the Moon routes. After the Fate decade supported by FGO, the Tsukihime decade might be coming for real. Lastly, note that no English version of Tsukihime Remake was announced yet. But these high sales will definitely help as well.
Famitsu sales data August 23 – 29 2021
We have the full data below, organized as such: Position in the charts / console + game name + sales (cumulative) / developer / release date.
- 1st place (first appearance) Switch Tsukihime -A piece of blue glass moon- 72237 (cumulative 72237) / TYPE-MOON / August 26, 2021
- 2nd place (first appearance) PS4 Tsukihime -A piece of blue glass moon- 66171 (cumulative 66171) / TYPE-MOON / August 26, 2021
- 3rd place (1st place last time) Switch Ring Fit Adventure 15671 (cumulative 2,788,621) / Nintendo / October 18, 2019
- 4th place (3rd place last time) Switch Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 14838 (cumulative 4,099,933) / Nintendo / April 28, 2017
- 5th place (4th place last time) Switch Minecraft 13860 (cumulative 2,153,053) / Microsoft Japan / June 21, 2018
- 6th place (6th place last time) Switch Momotaro Dentetsu-Showa Heisei Reiwa mo Teiban 12023 (cumulative 2,348,554) / KONAMI / November 19, 2020
- 7th place (2nd place last time) Switch Yu-Gi-Oh! Rush Duel Saikyou Battle Royale !! 9491 (cumulative 122,530) / KONAMI / August 12, 2021
- 8th place (8th place last time) Switch Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 8536 (cumulative 4,397,935) / Nintendo / December 7, 2018 9th place (first appearance) Switch
- No More Heroes 3 7951 (cumulative 7951) / Marvelous / August 27, 2021
- 10th place (13th place last time) Switch Pokemon Sword Shield 7499 (total 4,120,436) / Pokemon / November 15, 2019
Keep in mind Melty Blood Type Lumina is also launching on September 30, 2021, with English support. You can also reach me on Twitter @A_iyane07 to discuss more Japanese stuff.