Turn-Based Tactics Title Wargroove Delayed to Early 2019
Advanced Wars inspired strategy title Wargroove has been pushed back to the first quarter 2019, but the delay will come with more polish and new additions.
Developer Chucklefish gave fans a huge update on their upcoming tactics-based indie title Wargroove. The biggest news from the update is that the game will now launch in the first quarter of 2019. It’s not all bad news though, as the game will see further polish and plenty of new additions to ensure that the wait is totally worth it.
The development team shared a long list of features that will be included with Wargroove at launch. Some of the new additions that’ll be a product of the delay include cutscenes, voice acting, crossplay, and extra content in the editing tools as well as the campaign. There were also some extra secrets that were teased but as of right now, what exactly those could be is unknown.
You can check out the full content breakdown below alongside a charming animated video explaining some new additions:
- Skirmish Mode: 30+ two-player PVP maps, 10+ three player PVP maps & 6+ four player PVP maps. Possibly a number of ‘scenario’ maps – not confirmed yet. This works both online and offline, can be played vs CPU in any configuration. Allows you to configure weather, turn timer, fog of war, income, map biome, Commanders and teams. Online matches can be synchronous or asynchronous and can have many matches running at once.
- Arcade Mode: Each Commander has its own arcade in which you fight 5 opponents in succession, on randomly chosen PVP maps. Each character talks to their opponent at the start of each fight and ends with a full cutscene when their arcade mode is completed – similar to fighting games! A great way to learn about all of the characters.
- Campaign Mode: 33+ Missions of varying length where you play as many different Commanders. Each mission starts and ends with a cutscene, some with cutscenes in the middle. Totals between 1 hour to 1hr30 of cutscene content!
- Puzzle Mode: 25+ extremely challenging puzzles where you have to defeat the enemy in a single turn.
- Map Creation: Easy to use basic tools/map painting. Advanced scripting tools for frankly ridiculous possibilities. Cutscene creation in-game, with really detailed tools that allow you to dress up your maps or campaign with a story. Includes a decoration System with fine control over the visuals of the map.
- Campaign Creation: Choose 1 of 3 world maps. The simple placement of missions on the map and assigning them icons/date/location/descriptions. Map flags, allowing for branching paths/unlockable missions/secrets.
- Content Sharing: A powerful content sharing center for maps and campaigns. Ability to rate maps – Like/Dislike, with filters and search. Various different discoverability methods.
- Gallery: Unlock artwork from the game’s development, amongst other fun things we won’t spoil.
- Codex: Details the history of the world with lore and bio on all Commanders. Strategy info, rules and nice artwork of grooves. Damage charts for each unit with lots of unlockables.
- Jukebox: Unlock music tracks. Some cute stuff that we won’t spoil.
- Secret Content: ??????? The game probably has more secrets than you’d imagine – old school game style!
- Options: Language – we’re hoping to localize, but don’t know if it will be in for launch or not yet. Combat Animations – always/never/my turn only/commanders only. Show Grid – on/off. Auto end turn – when no units are unspent on/off. Zoom level – near/far. Standard resolution options. Separate volume controls for master/music/sound FX/Voices. Colour blind mode – red-green/blue-yellow. Rumble on your turn when using a gamepad.
Furthermore, the team shared a first look at canine commander Ceasar’s special “Groove” ability. You can see it by clicking on the GIF below. He looks like such a good boy.
If you don’t already know, commanders will have special abilities that they can use throughout battles in Wargroove. These abilities will charge at different rates depending on their effectiveness in battles once units attack and take damage. Ceasar’s Groove ability, in particular, allows his allies to act twice in one turn. You can check out more of the game’s dog units in an earlier update from late 2017.
Wargroove will be available next year on Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One, and PC. The game recently made an appearance in Nintendo’s EGX lineup alongside other popular indie titles.