Atlus to Bring Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Mask of Truth West for PS4 and PS Vita
Atlus announced that they will be localizing the Aquaplus visual novel RPG series Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception and Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth in North America and Europe in 2017.
Mask of Deception will release first while Mask of Truth will follow up with a release later this year, completing that story arc. This news follows a rating by the ESRB which hinted that Sega was planning on localizing the game, it seems we were right to assume their subsidiary, Atlus, would be handling it.
The publisher details further:
Mask of Deception follows the story of Haku, a mysterious amnesiac who awakens in an unfamiliar and hostile wilderness. However, he’s rescued by a beautiful girl named Kuon, who sports both adorable animal ears and a beastlike tail. They eventually team up, and Haku will (reluctantly) encounter colorful characters (yes, that means more animal people), build deep relationships, battle ruthless enemies, and find himself inexorably dragged into the political machinations of the mighty nation of Yamato.
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception features:
- An Unforgettable Story – Mask of Deception offers a story-rich visual novel experience (40-50+ hours long) that lets players shape the future of a fully realized world filled with fantastical lore and history! Mask of Deception sets up the story for a thrilling conclusion in Mask of Truth, and we’ll reveal more information about the final game at a later date.
- An Active SRPG Battle System – Players will need to defend Haku and his friends by engaging in intense SRPG combat with the various hostiles that populate the world. The battle system is a thrilling mix of turn-based tactics and Attack Chain mechanics.
- Players can remain active during combat by successfully completing timing-based charging rings to execute critical attacks or vital dodges/blocks.
- Fully Fleshed Out Combat – Unique combat features such as the rewind function, elemental affinities/weaknesses, unique character skills, and more add a layer of depth to fights. It’ll take true tactical acumen to emerge victorious in battle!
- Breathtaking Art – With a stunning art style and beautifully rendered cutscenes, the game is a feast for the eyes for Japanese visual novel and anime aficionados!
- Beautiful Songs and a Thrilling Score – The rousing music, recorded and remastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studios and EastWest Studios, is a perfect soundtrack to accompany a great adventure.
Both games will get a physical release on both platforms, PlayStation 4 retail price will be $49.99 with the PlayStation Vita retail price being $39.99.
You can check out the new trailer on top of screenshots below: