Earlier today, the PlayStation Blog announced that Valkyria Revolution (known as Valkyria: Azure Revolution in Japan) will be released for PS4 and PS Vita in North America on June 27th and in Europe on June 30th, with a Vanargand Edition for PS4. Xbox One users should not worry, as they’re getting the same edition (and release dates), at least in North America, as revealed by a follow-up press release from Sega.
The Vanargand Edition, that you see portrayed in the gallery, comes with a Soundtrack CD including twelve songs composed by Yasunori Mitsuda, and a 1.5 inches pin portraying the emblem of the Vanargand anti-valkyria unit. It will be granted at no additional cost to those who pre-order, and to purchasers that will get their hand to a limited number of launch copies.
On top of the Xbox One announcement, we get an official description of the game, and a series of bullet points, on top of more localized screenshots.
In the wake of a revolution, Jutland’s elite soldiers, the Vanargand, must band together to defeat the Ruzi Empire and stop death itself–the Valkyria. This grizzled anti-Valkyria squad is equipped with advanced mana weaponry and has the powerful ability to wield ragnite spells to combat this terrifying threat. The unit is comprised of soldiers who have a high affinity for ragnite, and even Jutland’s own Princess Ophelia has joined the ranks. The princess carries the utmost love for her country and has answered the call of duty to liberate those who are suffering from the Ruzi’s tyranny. However, Amleth Grønkjær, the commanding officer of Vanargand hides a terrible secret. Is he friend or foe to the country he has sworn to protect?
Valkyria Revolution Features:
- A Brush with Death – Turning the tide of battle in Valkyria Revolution is Brunhilde, an ancient and powerful Valkyria, a fearsome being with near limitless power. She’s bound by oath to the enemy forces, and players will have to discover how to defeat the incarnation of death itself.
- Prepare for Battle – Valkyria Revolution has a brand new battle system that mixes real-time combat and tactical strategy. Players can take control of the battlefield using brazen combos or cunning tactics. Finding a balance between them is the key to excelling in skirmishes.
- The Ingenuity of War – Through adversity comes great engineering, and with a besieged homeland, players will be able to upgrade their existing weapons through branching customization paths with ragnite.
- A New Painterly Look – Valkyria Revolution has a refined look thanks to the new GOUACHE rendering engine, giving the graphics a unique canvas texture.
- Classic Composer – Valkyria Revolution has a vibrant and dramatic soundtrack by the incredibly talented composer Yasunori Mitsuda, who is known for his work on Chrono Trigger and Stella Glow.
Unfortunately, Europe won’t be getting the Vanargand Edition, but European gamers will still receive the bonus soundtrack CD for pre-orders and a limited number of launch copies. The game will launch physically as well as digitally on PS4 and Xbox One in the Old Continent too.
You can check out all the screenshots below, on top of a picture with both Vanguard Editions.
It’s certainly nice to see the folks on Xbox One getting a full-fledged JRPG release that isn’t Final Fantasy with all the bells and whistles. Hopefully, it’ll do well enough to prompt more in the future.