Paradox Entertainment and Fatshark just announced that the spiritual successor to War of the Roses, titled War of the Vikings, is in development and will be released in the first quarter of 2014.
Together with the announcement the publisher also shared a list of bullet points to let us know what the game will be all about.
- History Comes to Life (and then you kill it) – Historically inspired content from the Viking Age, including levels and environments, weapons, helmets, shields, and heraldry
- Close Combat and Ranged Ravaging – Skill-driven fighting blends swinging, blocking, and dodging with intense ranged combat, including arrows, spears, and throwing axes
- Mod Your Squad – Enhanced squad features allow players to define a role for their warriors in battle using custom squad perks to buff your hirdmen
- A Viking to Your Liking – Design your own Viking or Saxon warrior, choosing everything from weapons and armor to battle perks, customized taunts to unhinge your foes, and a variety of beard options
- Pick Your Battles – Game modes include up to 64-player epic battles, new hardcore “Pitched Arena” mode with 32 players and no respawns, and a Training Ground to test out new character builds
That sounds quite spiffy, doesn’t it? Having enjoyed War of the Roses quite a lot, I can’t help but be excited about this new take on the history of medieval warfare.
Below you can check out the first teaser trailer and the first batch of screenshots. You can also sign up for the alpha testing phase here.