In a series of updates to their Battlefield website, DICE has detailed the Nordlys, Tirailleur, and Under No Flag War Stories in Battlefield V. Following after Battlefield 1‘s single-player campaign jumped between many different locations and characters to tell stories set during World War I. Now DICE is doing the same with World War II in Battlefield V with an anthology of single-player tales. The ones included at launch and directly afterwards are listed below.
- Prologue: Take on an intense introduction to the world of Battlefield V.
- Nordlys: Set in an occupied Norway that has not known peace since the war began, this story involves a young resistance fighter who learns of a dangerous scheme while rescuing one of her own. Her story centers on not only her fight for her country’s liberation from occupying forces, but her family’s survival.
- Under No Flag: This is a story about grit, determination and second chances. You’ll fight in the boots of Billy Bridger, a criminal pulled from a London jail for a chance of redemption alongside a Special Boat Section unit. What he lacks in experience he makes up for in perseverance.
- Tirailleur: It’s high-intensity all-out infantry warfare, where Senegalese units of the French Colonial Forces fight to liberate the French “homeland” that they’ve never even seen before.
- The Last Tiger (arriving December): In the twilight of WW2, the German Army descends into chaos. Under the command of a veteran officer, a lone Tiger tank crew begins to question the ideology that got them to this point.
War Stories in Battlefield V were created to do something different than the traditional WWII narrative that follows the allies invasion of Normandy to the Battle of the Bulge.
“That drove us to do a lot of research into places and things that we didn’t know and were surprised and struck by when we found about them,” Holmes said. “We decided when we would tell a War Story, for example, we’d either go to somewhere you’ve never seen or . . . be someone you hadn’t heard about.”
This led to sections such as the Under No Flag story which focuses on boat warfare instead of something like the air service. While War Stories in Battlefield V can have linear progression they still allow players a range of ways to solve a problem thanks to the usual Battlefield gameplay and large map design. Stories can also favor a specific class, with Nordlys favoring recon and Tirailleur favoring support. This allows players to get used to the various tools available to each class before jumping into multiplayer. Single player also sets the tone for the game, as evidenced by the prologue to Battlefield 1 in which players jumped from one solider to another after dying to show how many lives were lost.
Helping set that tone is Mark Strong, most known for his roles in Kingsman: The Secret Service and Sherlock Holmes, who provides his voice tot he Prologue as well as the War Stories in Battlefield V trailer.
Nordlys is set in the Norwegian mountains as resistance fighter Solveig uses stealth to attempt to rescue her mother. Infiltrating the German facility means increasing forces as you get closer. Equipped with skis and throwing knives, you’ll have to avoid being noticed or else the Germans will call in reinforcements to make the battle much tougher. This War Story was first teased in the E3 2018 trailer.
Tirailleur follows another resistance figher, this one hailing from the colonial units of the French Army who invaded Southern France late in the war from their home in West Africa. Deme is your playable character for this one, and is increasingly growing weary of the war effort. He and his unit fight against the German Fallschirmjäger (paratroopers) in the French countryside. Conquering strong points is essential, as is picking up gear from the German enemies who outgun and outman you.
Under No Flag takes place behind enemy lines and is made up of some special forces soldiers taken from prison to serve, including Billy Bridger the playable character. Bridger’s relationship with his officer George Mason is a highlight due to their back and forth dialogue. Their mission is to sabotage the German Luftwaffe in an open desert by planting explosives near aircraft and other important equipment.
Throughout the War Stories in Battlefield V characters will be speaking in their native tongues. Battlefield V launches on PC, Xbox One, and PS4 on November 20, 2018. It was pushed back from the original date of October 19th due to some final adjustments to core gameplay. You can view some images from the War Stories in the gallery below.