What Happened to Digimon Survive? Delays Timeline Explained
Tactical JRPG Digimon Survive (PS4, Switch, Xbox One, Steam) was delayed several times and is now coming in 2022
Bandai Namco and Toei Animation delayed Digimon Survive (PS4, Switch, Xbox One, Steam) from 2021 to 2022 – The tactical JRPG featuring choices that matter and can led to character deaths has been delayed several times now, here’s what happened to it.
- GENSHIN IMPACT – Why lore fans are unhappy with the Aloy collab?
What happened to Digimon Survive?
On July 28, 2021, Toei Animation published its financials for the first quarter of the ongoing fiscal year, which ends on March 2022. In the additional materials of the report, the anime studio’s schedule revealed that Digimon Survive was delayed to 2022. (Thanks, @Renka_Schedule)
Digimon Survive was first announced on July 21, 2018, in Japan for PS4 and Nintendo Switch, with a 2019 release estimate. The game was also announced for North America and Europe on July 30, on the same platforms plus PC via Steam and Xbox One.
However, nearly nothing else was revealed back then for months. which even led fans to believe it was canceled. On April 22, 2019, game producer Habu Kazumasa tweeted that the game was not canceled, with news coming that summer. And sure enough, we learned much more about Digimon Survive in Summer 2019, with a dev diary, new details on the story, characters, and the gameplay mechanics. The game was also delayed to 2020.
Digimon tactical JRPG on PS4, Switch, Xbox, Stea – Delays timeline explained
This is when things got more complicated:
- On April 23, 2020, Famitsu Magazine, in its calendar for future releases, stated Digimon Survive was undefinitely delayed
- Contacted by Gematsu, Bandai Namco stated this was a typo on Famitsu magazine’s side
- On August 2, 2020, Toei Animation Japan on its official schedule still listed the game for 2020. However, Toei Animation Europe listed the game’s release date as January 2021
- On August 8, 2020, Toei Animation Europe updated its site again, removing the January 2021 releae date estimate for Digimon Survive
Lastly, on October 8, 2020, Habu Kazumasa tweeted that the game’s development process and the schedule were being reviewed. This led to an official statement being published on October 15, 2020, announcing a 2021 delay:
And now, Digimon Survive was delayed to 2022. The Digimon Games Twitter account hasn’t made an official announcement yet. Habu Kazumasa has not tweeted lately, and his last tweet dates to November 2020:
Digimon Survive is one of the many games whose development has been hit badly by the pandemic, and hopefully, we’ll see its release in 2022.