Xbox One April Firmware Update Gets New Build: Brings Silent System Update Installation
Today the 1404 build of the April Xbox One firmware update is being made available to those that are in the update preview program. The most relevant addition a silent system update installation feature, allowing the download and installation of a new firmware overnight without the need to turn on the console manually.
The full patch notes have been published on the private preview forum, and you can read them below, courtesy of Reddit user SilasDG.
1404 build (xb_rel_1404.140319-2200)
Deployment starts at 6:00PM PDT on 3/21 and is over 1GB)
Prompt Update will begin on 1:00AM PDT 3/23 for non-standy units
- Several fixes and tweaks to the user interface.
- Initial fixes to address audio crackling sound encountered when Dolby Digital is enabled (additional fixes are pending and will be deployed with a later build).
- A fix to address issues where game resume could fail when a console comes out of standby, causing the game to restart rather than resume from its previous state.
- Initial fixes for Blu-ray issues where the drive may not be responsive, requiring full system power down to resolve (pressing and holding the power button on the console for 5 seconds).
- Underlying OS changes required to enable planned 1404 features.
- NEW FEATURE Silent system update installation: Initial OS changes are present that enable consoles to take a system update overnight when in standby, and the console will now complete the installation, then boot back into standby. This feature will bypass the green installation progress bar currently seen when starting a console that needs to finish installing an update started in standby. This feature will already work with some consoles in this update!
- An issue has been identified in the current 1404 build (xb_rel_1404.140313-2200) where consoles with wired connections aren’t taking system, app, or game updates when in standby. Consoles connected via wireless are not affected. To test the silent update with a wired connection, you can work around this issue by connecting wirelessly when putting your console in standby overnight.
- When performing the new silent system update, the following issues may be encountered:
- The Blu-ray drive may spin up during silent startup.
- The Kinect sensor may light up during silent boot.
- During shutdown from standby to install the update, the power light will flash showing that it is shutting down.
- Work is still being done to fix all Blu-ray drive issues that were introduced in 1404. There are still some instances where the Blu-ray drive may not wake up from an idle state, resulting in errors that a disc is not present. These issues should be resolved by ejecting and re-inserting the disc to wake up the drive.
- When turning off your console with the “Xbox, turn off” command, Kinect does not respond to a command of “yes” or “no”, requiring the controller or remote be used to select “yes” to turn the console off.