Xbox One November Update Now Available to All Preview Members, Brings Custom Backgrounds and More
The November software update for the Xbox One was initially released, as usual, only to a limited quantity of update preview members. If you were left out of that elite, but still part of the preview update, Microsoft comes bearing gifts, as the beta has now been made available for everyone in the program.
if your console is in instant-on mode, it should download it automatically. If it doesn’t, you can go to settings, system and select “System Update.”
The OS version is xb_rel_1411.141017-2100 and it’s actually a rather quick download, but comes with a couple known issues:
- If you have TV Snapped then start a game, you may notice the TV App screen go black for 7-20 seconds, then resume. The team is aware of the issue and working on a fix.
- If you send a Party invite to 2+ friends signed in on another console, only one friend on that console will be able to accept the invite; the others will be kicked out once anyone else accepts. The team is aware and working on a fix.
After all, you’re a beta tester, so you shouldn’t be surprised if not everything is perfect from out of the box, and should remember that by taking part in testing you accept that you may encounter problems. It’s not just a privilege, but a service you do to the Xbox One community to iron out the very bugs you’ll encounter.
For reference, here are the full patch notes:
Show Who You Are –
- Custom Backgrounds – Each account on your Xbox One can have a customized background, and you are able to choose a custom color or achievement art as your background on Xbox One, with more customization options coming down the road.
- Gamer Profile: Bio and Location – You can now share your location and bio as part of your profile.
- Gamer Profile: Showcase – You can now select a set of showcase items that are displayed when other gamers look at your profile on an Xbox One console. Add or remove up to six game clips or achievements that will be displayed in a carousel format.
- Tweet about your Favorite Game Clips – You can now share your favorite Xbox One game clips with your followers on Twitter. Use the Share button on any game clip you have created and select Twitter to compose the Tweet.
A New Way to Watch TV –
- Live TV Trending – Continuing in Preview, Live TV Trending ibe available in OneGuide that displays the top 20 most watched TV shows in your country, with the list filtered down to the shows that are currently available to you based on your OneGuide settings.
- Twitter TV Trending – New this month in Preview (US only currently), you can see what Live TV is trending based on the highest number of tweets. The Trending tab in OneGuide is updated to display Twitter trending first and Xbox – Live TV Trending second.
- Tweets in MiniGuide – See the actual tweets for the Live TV shows and quickly find the Twitter #hashtag to get your tweets to be displayed. Also, MiniGuide has been updated to include your favorite TV channels in a combined Recents and Favorites area and MiniGuide can now be activated via voice by saying “Xbox Select – MiniGuide” while watching TV.
Store improvements and SmartGlass updates –
- Store improvements (Coming Soon!) – The Store pages on Xbox One have been improved to enable you to more quickly browse and find content.
- Friends’ Game Activity on SmartGlass – You can now see a list of your friends that have played a given game within the Xbox One SmartGlass experience.
- Games with Gold & Deals with Gold on SmartGlass – For gamers with an Xbox Live Gold subscription, you can browse “Free Games with Gold” and discounted content with Gold and initiate download of the content to your Xbox One console from your mobile device.
- SmartGlass Store Improvements – We added a new section for Apps to make it easier to find and download apps for your Xbox One, as well as adding a Coming Soon filter for Games and Add Ons to make it easier to see upcoming Xbox One releases sorted by anticipated release date.
Internet Explorer updates –
- Snap IE – From the Address Bar in Internet Explorer, you can now easily snap from a full screen experience and move Internet Explorer into snap mode.
- Featured sites – Now, Internet Explorer will show a number when something is newly-added to featured sites.
Updates to the Preview dashboard app – In case you missed it, we introduced a way to track your feedback in the Program, and get awards. See this post for details.