XCOM: Enemy Within Comes With New Enemy Unknown: Game of The Year Content
When XCOM: Enemy Unknown arrived to stores last year, it hit gamers as hard as the alien invasion hit Earth: and so 2K Games and Firaxis have announced today the arrival of XCOM: Enemy Within, which, after being named 2012’s Game of the Year by multiple news outlets, is being given an expanded Game of the Year experience.
XCOM: Enemy Within will be coming with new content, including new abilities, upgrades, weapons, and enemies, along with all-new maps, mechanics, and multiplayer content. Specifically:
- New Soldier Abilities: Research a new alien technology to advance the capabilities of operatives:
- Gene Mods: Construct the Genetics Lab to physically enhance operatives’ abilities, including augmentations to the chest, brain, eyes, skin and legs.
- MECs: Build the Cybernetics Lab to enable the construction of the new Mechanized Exoskeletal Cybersuit, or MEC. The new MEC Trooper class has specialized abilities and each suit can be upgraded with new weapons including the flamethrower, grenade launcher and more.
- New Weapons and Equipment: Give operatives an extra tactical edge with new projects from the engineering team in the Foundry;
- New Enemy Threats: Adopt new tactics to counter the threats from a host of new enemies, including the Mechtoid;
- New Strategic Resource: A valuable new alien resource, known as Meld, has been discovered. Secure it on the battlefield and use it carefully back at base to unlock new research and upgrades;
- New Tactical Challenges and Maps: Face new tactical challenges, on nearly 50% more maps;
- New Multiplayer Maps, Units and Abilities: Create custom squad from a wider array of options and dominate opponents in intense, one-on-one, turn-based matches.
On XCOM: Enemy Within, Firaxis’ lead designer Ananda Gupta said:
We promised gamers that we would deliver the same Enemy Unknown experience on both PC and console last fall, and we’re doing it again with Enemy Within. The Commander Edition of XCOM: Enemy Within expands the already amazing XCOM experience for our console fans who are looking forward to even more of the game they love. It’s also a great point of entry for new fans just joining the XCOM fight.
2K’s president Christoph Hartmann also commented, saying:
The incredible critical and consumer response to XCOM: Enemy Unknown inspired us to offer new content that would deepen the strong bond that has been created for our XCOM brand. Firaxis Games is renowned for delivering massive, highly immersive PC expansions in the Civilization series, and XCOM: Enemy Within builds on that lineage and expands the experience for console gamers as well.
On the PC and Mac, XCOM: Enemy Within will come with the additional content playable with previously purchased copies of XCOM: Enemy Unknown; on the PS3 and Xbox 360, the game will be available as XCOM: Enemy Within: Commander Edition, a standalone release that brings the new content along with the previously released Enemy Unknown DLC, the Elite Soldier and Slingshot Content Packs. The PC and Mac versions of XCOM: Enemy Within will be available for $29.99; the PS3 and Xbox 360 XCOM: Enemy Within: Commander Editionversions for $39.99: all versions rated M for Mature by the ESRB.
XCOM: Enemy Within will be coming to the PS3, Xbox 360, PC and Mac (here distributed by Feral Interactive) later this year, in North America on November 12th, and internationally on November 15th. Currently there is no announced plan for the game to come to mobile devices despite Enemy Unknown be ported to them. Is it too much to ask for to get an XCOM on the PS Vita?
For more news on the franchise, check out all of our XCOM news.