Zelda Is Game of the Year at the Golden Joystick Awards; The Last of Us Part II Wins Most Wanted
The Golden Joystick Awards are all said and done. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild is GOTY, and here you can read the full list of winners.
Today, the award ceremony for the Golden Joystick Awards was held at the Bloomsbury Big Top in London, and the final winners have just been announced.
The game of the year prize was brought home by The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild. Horizon Zero Dawn was ranked second, and Persona 5 got third place.
Other highlights are Horizon Zero Dawn as best storytelling (with Aloy voice actress Ashly Burch also winning the Best Performance award), and Playerunknown‘s Battlegrounds winning Best Multiplayer Game.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild won Best Nintendo Game, actually beating Super Mario Odyssey that got the seconnd place. Zelda also won the Critics’ Choice Awards, voted by a panel of critics.
Best PlayStation Game was Horizon Zero Dawn, followed by NieR: Automata.
Cuphead floored everyone as Xbox Game of the Year, with Gears of War 4 taking second.
The award for Most Wanted game, which gives us a glimpse of the future, was won by The Last of Us Part II beating in order Red Dead Redemption 2 and Death Stranding.
You can enjoy the full list of winner below.
- Best Storytelling: Horizon Zero Dawn
- Best Visual Design: Cuphead
- Best Audio: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
- Best Gaming Performance: Ashly Burch – Horizon Zero Dawn
- Best Indie Game: Friday the 13th The Game
- Best Multiplayer Game: Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds
- Studio of the Year: Nintendo EPD
- eSports Play of the Year: Agilities’ five-man Dragonblade at Overwatch Contenders
- eSports Team of the Year: Seoul Dynasty (formerly Lunatic-Hai)
- eSports Game of the Year: Overwatch
- Best Streamer/Broadcaster: Markiplier
- Handheld/Mobile Game of the year: Pokémon Sun and Moon
- Nintendo Game of the Year: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
- PlayStation Game of the Year: Horizon Zero Dawn
- Xbox Game of the Year: Cuphead
- PC Game of the Year: Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds
- Critics’ Choice Award: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
- Breakthrough Award: Ashly Burch
- Hall of Fame Award: Final Fantasy
- Most Wanted Game: The Last of Us Part II
- Still Playing: World of Tanks
- Outstanding Contribution to the UK Game Industry: Debbie Bestwick
- Lifetime Achievement: Sid Meier
- Ultimate Game of the Year: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
Besides the Critics’ Choice Award (doh!), the prices were voted by the public (anyone can vote online), so if you dislike the results, you can scream at each other in the comments, because it’s everyone (else)’s fault.
Last year, the overall Game of the Year prize was won by Dark Souls III, while Mass Effect Andromeda won the Most Wanted award. I sure hope that doesn’t jinx The Last of Us Part II.